I’ve really been enjoying looking up recipes and trying to recreate them in my kitchen, however I feel like a lot of the time I see a recipe that looks delicious and then realize how expensive it will be for me. I’m still in that phase in my life where cereal for dinner happens and every deal is a huge plus. That’s why I decided to add a section to my blog that compiles all of my “Cheap, Chic and…Healthy” recipes, as well as anything else I can pass onto you guys. The recipes will also be organized in the Recipes section, but these special inexpensive recipes deserve their own space.
For most people this meal will seem like common sense, but for someone like me who is a complete kitchen amateur I was pretty proud of myself for cooking this without a recipe.
This meal came to me for many reasons. For starters, I wanted a meal that was easy, yet healthy and cheap. Living in NYC I am lucky enough to have little fruit and vegetable stands every few blocks that sell fresh produce for much less than the grocery stores. I knew if I used veggies for a big chunk of the meal I could manage to keep the cost down, plus I have been meaning to eat more veggies anyways. Lastly, I I wanted to take the plunge with mushrooms. I know I know, you’re probably thinking “seriously, this girl has never had mushrooms?!” Well, I’ve tried them before but I convinced myself I did not like them. The texture was weird and they smelt like dirty feet to me, which if you know me you know I very much dislike feet. But they have sooo many health benefits! Some of which include: a good source of lean protein since they have no cholesterol or fat and are very low carbohydrates, a great source of iron (perfect for people who suffer from anemia), rich source of calcium, and they help with nutrient absorption. For more health benefits of mushrooms click here.
Now the moment you’ve all been waiting for, what is this exciting recipe that I’m going to share with you?!
Pasta with roasted veggies! Yup, that’s my recipe. Something that people have been doing for years but is new and exciting for me. Hopefully there is someone else out there who will read this and it will help them, for everyone else, thanks for just reading this far (I’m thanking you now since I know you’ll stop reading since you already know how to roast veggies haha).
-1 cup whole wheat pasta
-sauce of your choosing (I used tomato sauce)
-assorted veggies minced (I used mushrooms, red pepper, white onions, parsley, and carrots.)
-half of lemon
-crushed red pepper flakes
- If you haven’t already done it, cut up all of your veggies into small pieces, aka mince them.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Pour enough oil into a skillet until the bottom is coated and heat until you start to see the smallest amount of smoke. Put the half of the lemon face down in the pan, throw the veggies into the oil (be careful!), put salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Cover the pan and cook on high for around 2 minutes. You’re cooking it on high in order to get the veggies a little charred.
- I know it’s tough but don’t open it yet, wait the full two minutes.
- After two minutes you can take the top off and stir/flip the veggies. Cover and let them cook for another two minutes.
- Add the sauce and veggies to the drained pasta.
- Voila! A simple, healthy and cheap!