I love tuna, I really, really do. I’m not sure what I love more about it though, the taste or how inexpensive it is. Or how well it pairs with so many different things. Or how easy it is to make. I could continue but I think we all get what I’m saying.
So knowing this little secret about my tuna love, you can only imagine how excited I get when I find new ways to use canned tuna fish. You didn’t think I meant the fresh and fancy type of tuna? Oh no no no. I love cannnnnnned tuna fish. Well, while I was browsing Skinny Taste the other day I came across this “Poor man’s ceviche” recipe. It seemed perfect for what I was looking for; a healthy, simple and wallet friendly meal!
-2 tbsp minced red onion
-1 to 1 ½ limes
-kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed
-1 tsp olive oil
-1 (7 oz) can chunk albacore tuna packed in water (drained)
-1 medium seeded plum tomato, finely diced
-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
-2 oz sliced avocado (about a half of avocado) * I would have used this but I forgot my avocado. I can imagine it could only have made it even better though, since avocado is the best*
Then she also recommended two other ingredients that I didn’t use (by choice this time):
-1 jalapeno, minced (Keep seeds for spicy) or you can use pickled
-3 drops Tabasco sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, pinch of kosher salt, juice of one lime and olive oil
- Mix in the chopped cilantro, jalapeno, drained tuna, tomato, and Tabasco.
- Taste for salt and lime and adjust as needed
- Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes in order to let the flavors blend. I made mine the night before and I’m not sure if it was because I let it sit for so long or if I used too much cilantro but I tasted a lot of that so just be careful!
- Top with your fresh avocado, serve over a bed of spinach and enjoy!
How many of you love tuna as much as I do? Or avocado?What inexpensive recipes have you tried recently?